Does Exercise Truly Help with Pain?

If you’re dealing with pain on a regular basis, you might have days where all you’ll want to do is lie in your bed or sit on the couch. Even though this might be tempting, all it’s going to do is make your condition more difficult to manage both physically and mentally. In the past, bed rest used to be the prescription for various types of pain but with advances in science we’ve learned that bed rest may not be the best option. When you’re suffering from pain, you might want to consider exercising.

Exercise Helps Pain?

If you’re suffering from chronic conditions you might be wondering how exercise could possibly help your body to feel better. You barely have the strength to make it out of bed in the morning, but you’re expected to push your body to the limits to get better? Using exercise as a way to remedy pain is incredibly useful because it increases your pain threshold. Suffering from chronic conditions lowers the amount of pain that you can handle, but by strengthening your muscles and conditioning yourself, you’ll be building a strong foundation to handle more pain on a regular basis.

exersice help 1

Talking to a Doctor

Before you rush to your computer and start researching exercises for pain, it’s important that you first talk to a medical professional. Your doctor might suggest a certain exercise regime for 75% of his patients, but tell the other 25% to avoid the exercises at all costs. Your doctor will be able to refer you to a professional to help design an effective workout plan.

Ask for a Postural Assessment

exersice-help-2

In most cases you will be referred to a personal trainer or physical therapist that will guide you through a series of exercises that you can either do at home or during your scheduled appointments. Professional trainers should conduct a postural assessment and if they don’t, ask for one. This assessment will give the trainer an idea of how you walk, stand, and sit. This information is essential as it gives them a better insight to workout regimes that will adapt to your daily tasks.

 

Be Prepared for Stretches

When the average person thinks of exercise, they might think about going out for a run or lifting heavy weights. The majority of people that seek help with exercising for pain will be doing stretches a couple of times every day. Stretching helps to improve the overall amount of mobility that you have and it builds stronger muscles which is necessary for building a higher pain threshold.